Okinawan Potato and Lentil Shepard’s Pie
Serves: 6-8 Entrée Portions
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total: 2 hours
– 16oz dried lentils of your choice
– 1 large egg (or ¼ cup Veganaise)
– 1 small onion
– 1 small carrot
– 1 stalk of celery
– 3 cloves garlic
– 1/4 cup white wine (or juice of half a lemon)
– 2 cups of organic vegetable broth
– 2.5 lbs Okinowan sweet potato (sub regular sweet potato if not available in your region)
– 1/4 cup feta cheese
– 2 Tbs. grass fed, organic butter or olive oil
– 2 Tbs. olive or extra virgin coconut oil
– 1/4 cup half and half or ½ cup full fat plain Greek yogurt
– Sea Salt (to taste or approximately 5 Tbs.)
– 1 ½ Tbs. Poultry seasoning
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Boil lentils in 8 -10 cups of water for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
3. Drain lentils and pour into large mixing bowl and mash with potato masher. Add 1 tsp. sea salt. Set aside and let cool.
4. Finely chop carrot, onion, celery, garlic, 1 tsp. sea salt and sauté over medium high heat in a large skillet with 2 Tbs. of olive oil or coconut oil.
5. Sauté until onions are clear then add white wine and one cup of vegetable broth.
6. Add sea salt and poultry season and simmer for an additional five minutes. Set aside and let cool.
7. Add one beaten egg to mashed lentils and fold together. Add skillet mixture to bowl and fold together.
8. Add mixture to 9”x13” greased baking dish and smooth with spatula. If mixture appears too dry, use the remaining cup of broth as needed to drizzle over the top. Note: When baking, this mixture will significantly dry out. When poured into the baking dish, the mixture should have an almost soup or stew like consistency.
9. Peel and quarter potatoes. In a separate, 2-quart pot, boil for approximately 15-20 minutes or until tender.
10. Drain potatoes, mash and fold in feta cheese, butter, ½ tsp. sea salt and half and half.
11. Fold together until potato mixture is thick and fluffy. Add more butter and half and half if needed.
12. Very carefully layer thick, potato mixture on top of thin lentil mixture. Tip: You can even make small potato patties in your hand and lay the patties over the lentil mixture.
13. Drizzle with olive oil, dust with paprika and bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until potatoes build a nice, golden crust.
14. Let cool for 15 minutes. Slice and enjoy.
Pairing suggestions: Create a raw veggie salad made from spiralized rainbow carrots, daikon and sliced cucumbers. Toss with a vinaigrette and mix in a few mint leaves.