This is a great, quick and healthy appetizer or meal that’s both sweet, savory and tangy! A healthy spin on a classic, this recipe uses riced cauliflower, tempeh, dates, kale and some delicious, refreshing spices. As always, I indicate some of the key items to use organic, but when possible, organic is best for all ingredients.
Tempeh Stuffed Grape Leaves
Serves: Approximately 6-8 Appetizer Portions (About 12 stuffed leaves)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
– 2 ½ cups riced cauliflower (Coarsely grate cauliflower in a large bowl or pulse in a food processor in small batches until cauliflower is the size of grains of rice.)
– 12 organic grape leaves (They usually come in a jar. Just check the ingredients to ensure they are not soaked in chemicals. You can opt to rinse the leaves before filling them with the mixture. )
– 1/2 cup dried, chopped apricots (organic, no sugar added)
– 1/2 cup dried, pitted, chopped dates (organic, no sugar added)
– 6 slices of organic Fakin’ Bacon Tempeh strips (Made by Lightlife), chopped up into small pieces
– 1/4 inch ginger chopped
– 1 tsp. Sea Salt (to taste)
– 1 tsp. garam masala
– 1 tsp. nutmeg
– 1 tsp. garlic powder
– 2 cloves fresh, chopped garlic
– 1 Tbs. paprika
– 2 Tbs. olive or coconut oil
– 1 ½ cups raw, finely chopped organic kale or spinach
– Juice of 1 lemon
– 1/2 cup chopped mint leaves
– Handful whole mint leaves
1. In a skillet, sauté riced cauliflower, chopped garlic and ginger in olive oil until tender.
2. Add in kale/spinach and tempeh and cook until the green are wilted.
3. Add in sea salt, garam masala, nutmeg, garlic powder and paprika.
4. Stir all ingredients until evenly distributed.
5. Remove skillet from heat.
6. Mix in lemon juice, chopped mint, apricots and dates.
7. Remove 12 grape leaves from the jar (Sometimes I use two grape leaves per roll, depending on how thick they are.)
8. Place a large spoonful of the cauliflower mixture at the bottom of the leaf.
9. Place two to three mint leaves on top of the mixture.
10. Squeeze more lemon on top of the mixture (optional, if you like it super zesty!)
11. Start rolling the leaf from the bottom, then pull the sides in as you roll.
12. Cut rolls in half (optional) and serve!